Friday, June 7, 2013

It has begun.....the Packing!

So it is official. V A C A T I O N  has officially begun!

Okay, yes it is true I am still here in Phoenix, and today is possibly going to reach 112 degrees out. But who cares! I am packing layers of warm clothes and headed to Alaska in about 8 hours. Short commuter flight to San Francisco then the 4 Hr+ flight to Anchorage, but I have already been upgraded to First Class due to my standing with United Airlines.

So I will arrive in Anchorage at 11:56pm Alaska time (that is 4 hours behind east coast time for you family folk) and the odd thing is that sunset in anchorage is at 11:33pm tonight. Not quite far enough north to be in the land of the midnight sun, but close enough. A quick 2 mile trip to hotel and I will catch some sleep before rising at 5AM ( the sun will have risen at 4:27am) for the 2 hour drive to Seward for a day trip, I will be going out into Resurection Bay for a trip into the Kenai Fjords National Park:

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/index.htm

It is an all day trip exploring the Fjords, the glaciers, the wildlife etc on the Kenai penninsula. And it will be SUNNY! I hope to see some of the glaciers calving off into the ocean. Once done then it is back to Anchorage for the night. Here is a glimpse of what I hope to see and get my own photographs:






Right now I am focused on packing. I have not started. Okay, I have gotten the camera ready and packed with the cool lenses I rented. And have begun laying out the layers of warmer clothes. Just waiting on laundry to begin the packing process. Can I really haul this much stuff up to Alaska? I should! The weather can be unpredictable and you have to be prepared. It is scheduled to be sunny and warm during day and cool at night but that can change. It can be wet, windy and cold too!  Plus on the ship next week it is likely to be chilly and wet. Oh, and have to take poor Maori Haka (my Chocolate Lab) to the doggie DayCare/Kennel. Although she loves going there, she always turns her head looking back at me and gives me a look as they are leading her through the door into the back area.

Wish me luck! Feel free to leave a comment too.


No comments:

Post a Comment