Sunday, September 25, 2011

One if by Land

Bay of Islands via Land
Friday turned out to be a great day in the Northland Region. Warm temperatures, lots of sun and perfect light to get out and explore the Bay of Islands, but by land. Honestly, it would have been a great day to go out on the bay itself, and I was tempted to take the cruise again, or rent a kayak, etc. But I decided to drive around the area and visit some of the small towns and inlets on the bay.
Americans think of San Francisco Bay as being the most picturesque bay, but this bay can easily compete with that. It is so expansive, and yet so cozy at the same time. over 100 islands and seemingly almost as many little inlets and coves hiding little towns and vistas.
I started out near the historical treaty grounds. I found a sprawling golf course with incredible vistas, set amongst the history of this particular peninsula. I saw Maori ‘Waka War Canoes’ alongside modern day sailboats and motorboats. I met a man from Sydney and his wife. They were part Samoan and part Maori. They were visiting family in the area, but they live in Australia. he was waiting for his time on the jet ski, but he was telling me about a secret valley, tucked not far away that had some of the largest trees I would ever see. He described the tree, and how the ancient Maori would fell the tree, hollow it out, and build these monstrous war canoes.
I travelled a few towns away, and found some incredible little coves with homes that had incredible views. Quaint little lanes across rolling green hills, and one-lane bridges over streams. Lots of Cows and sheep as well. The locals, rather than being suspicious of a visitor to their quaint little cove, were welcoming and very friendly. That has been a common theme throughout my visit.
The small motels I have stayed at this trip, have featured friendly owners. During this portion of my trip it was Maureen and Phil. An older Kiwi couple that were very concerned that I would I enjoy my visit. On check-in they took me to my room, explained the layout and gave me some homemade Ma hi Pate. I did not have the heart to tell them that I don’t like seafood. Phil engaged me in a conversation of rugby, seeing that I was here for the World Cup. He commented how impressed he was with the US team and how much progress they are making.
That is one thing about this trip, this entire country is RUGBY CRAZY. It is the national sport, every town has a team, every school, etc. It reminded me of Wales a lot, as Wales was very similar and even had sheep too. For example, the other day I walked into a cafe to get some coffee. The 70-something year old woman, asked me how I was enjoying my visit to New Zealand, asked if it was my first time, and if I was here for the rugby world cup. When I responded yes, she said that's good, and then asked who I was rooting for? When I said that I am following the USA but am enjoying all the teams, she said that was good.She then proceeded to lecture me about the kiwi fullback and how he has lost a step or two and that she wishes the coach would let one of the younger guys take that spot in the permanent roster. She then listed off numerous rugby skills that this younger player excelled at, including his tackling, rucking and running support skills. I laughed as this was somewhat surprising to see this woman breakdown the game of rugby. But the whole country is like this, everywhere you go. And its not just for show for the world cup. They genuinely live and die by their rugby. Of all levels.
I finished the day off by going to a very neat pizza place and having some wine, some pasta, and watching the South Africa Springboks play their next door neighbor, Namibia. Namibia use to be a region under South African rule until it earned its independence in 1990’s. They have made it to the last several world cups, but have not achieved the success that the South Africans have.
Saturday I have to leave the Bay of Islands, and I am kind of sad, because it is such a neat place. Too bad I was not here in the summertime to fully enjoy the bay itself.

Here are some of my photos:





















No comments:

Post a Comment